Wednesday, October 24, 2012

First job-interview in Berlin

Third day in Berlin
Cheap and easy to use public transport here!
Today I had my first job interview at one of Germany's largest companies and it made my move to Germany seem more real. Now I am really DOING things to build a life here and not just talking about it.
The people that interviewed me thought I was just here in Berlin for the interview until I told them I was moving here and had no job or flat. They laughed and I thought to myself: "woopsi, wonder what they say to that?!" Will they find that a little irresponsible or cool? Later on in the interview they said: "Well, we guess you can start pretty much any time as you have no job or home?" and then they laughed again... and so did I. I could hear how crazy it sounded in my ears, as I would never have dared to do this 6 months ago... or even 3 months ago! I am still getting used to "the new me", the "no safety net Nina". Gosh, if anyone used to need structure and security it was me! Anyways, back to the interview. I thought to myself, I am gonna be 100% me in this interview. I don't wanna play games. I want them to know who they are gonna get if they pick me. I was interviewed by 4 people who were firing many sharp questions at me (also the typical ones I knew would come) and felt so calm about it. I guess the reason was that I was just being me and then the answers just came nice and easy and honestly. I feel it went well and I will know for sure next week. So, fingers crossed! Yes, I will reveal both title and company to you when I have the job ;)

The salary surprise (or shock)!
One thing I had not really given so much thought to was that the salaries here in Berlin are a lot lower than in DK - and I mean a lot! Almost half of what they are in DK. However, the taxes are a lot lower here too, and you pay around 20-30% tax on an average salary where I have been used to paying way more in DK. Food and living expenses are quite a bit lower here, so I am sure it will all work out to my advantage (I am practicing my positive thinking here). Also, another thing (a rather important thing!) is that you cannot really rent a place without a documented income... ehh, one thing I had not thought about either, but I am lucky my sis will caution for me if they need that. So, "just-doing-it" also means dealing with things as they surface and that is what I am doing now. It feels good. I just take one thing at a time. 

What do you do?
This morning as my sister and I were talking about the whole "moving to another country" thing, I came to think about if I have to register myself anywhere? Yes, you may call me Blondina, cause I know some of you may find it very blond, not to have considered this and I guess you are right ;) I figured that a smart move would be to phone the Danish embassy and they were very helpful. You can live in Germany for 3 months without having to register that you live here. Within 14 days after you have got a place of your own you have to register. So, now I know that. I find it amusing that in spite of having thrown myself up into the air and don't really know how it will go, I feel so calm and happy. I have this deep rooted confidence that I will be alright. I will not waste my time worrying about a thing, cause to worry is indeed to waste time. Having said that, I openly admit that I still worry about things. I am just learning to not let the worrying take over my life and control me. I will just follow what my gut feeling tells me to do when I have to make a decision. My gut feeling told me to "just go" and buy that ticket to Germany and things would sort them selves out when I got here. My gut feeling told me to send a job application to this company I visited today and 2 hours later they called me to arrange an interview. This was last week and today I had the interview. So letting go of control, diving into the unknown and letting go of limited thinking has been very good for me.

I have never lived on my own!
Should I live here? ;)
I have to admit something. I have never ever lived alone! I have always lived with friends or a boyfriend and now is the first time I am gonna have my own place. I am so excited I am bursting. I bet I will have to pinch my arm when I sit in my flat a few weeks from now. I don't mind if it is small, as long as it is cozy. I don't need many things. I have been using hours on the web searching for flats to rent on immobilienscout24.de, which is a very good site for this. Found tons of places and will see some tomorrow. I am looking for one or two-room flats and they are around 300-400€ per month which is a good price (incl. utilities). I must have a flat with a bathtub and preferably a balcony! Oh, I will love that. I can already picture myself in a hot tub with a book, a candle, a cuppa English tea (Tetley or PG), some nice music (or maybe no music) and just relaxing.


Sign for a Doggie "Hair Dresser"
Next stop TV-Shop!
Now onto something totally different. I will soon get ready for some serious TV-shop watching here at 24.00 on QVC as my sister and her husband are promoting their new Body and Mind Workout DVD on that channel. I can't wait to see them live and in action. It is so exciting. I will probably post something about it tomorrow.

I know this picture on the left is way out of context with anything written here, but I have to post it. This funny picture is from a dog-hairdresser (or whateva you call them) that I passed today. It says: Nur Mut. This means: For the brave! I find this SO funny to write on a sign. Poor little doggies and what great humor!

Sweet dreams to ya all from Miss Hall.











No comments: